A Post Office PO Box is a secure box which is located at the Post Office where all your mail items are kept until you collect them. If you have a PO Box then you don’t have to worry about mail and packages delivered when you are not home, you can pick them on your schedule from the PO Box. USPS also allow users to separate business mail from the personal mail.
- 1 How to Apply or Reserve a New PO Box?
- 2 How to Link a PO Box with USPS.com Account
- 3 How to Renew a PO Box
Features of PO Box
Here are few features of Post Office Box.
- Security: All your mail items & packages will be safe & secure. In case, if the size of the package exceeds the PO Box size then the package will be held at the Post Office Location.
- Privacy: The home address of users is kept private and important documents and communications confidential.
- Accessibility: Users have easy accessibility as they can get their mail easily with 24/7 access in some locations and extended hours in others. if your Box is eligible for a Premium PO Boxes Services then you will receive an alert on your smartphone whenever there is a new mail.
How to Apply or Reserve a New PO Box?
To apply or reserve a new PO Box, follow the steps shared below;
Step 1: Visit this link https://www.usps.com/manage/po-boxes.htm
Step 2: There is a section called “Reserve a New PO Box”, you need to search for Post Office locations near you by using the search bar.
Step 3: Choose a Post Office location and select the desired PO Box Size as per your requirement and Payment Period.
Step 4: Enter your Contact & Billing Information to reserve your PO Box.
Step 5: Once you’ve made a selection of PO Box size, then reserve it, print the PO Box application: PS Form 1093. Take it to the Post Office with two acceptable forms of ID.
How to get PO Box number & mailing address?
You need to visit the Post Office where you reserved your PO Box and submit the complete PO Box application: PS Form 1093 at the Post Office with two acceptable forms of verified ID (One form of ID must contain a photograph, the other needs to confirm your physical address. ). After that, you will receive two keys (or a combination) for your PO Box and your box number. Your mailing address will be your PO Box number and the address of the Post Office where your box is located. Additional keys are available upon request for a fee.
How to Link a PO Box with USPS.com Account
For this, you need a USPS.com account, if you have one then log in, if you don’t have an account, then create one and then log in. Log in to your account and then follow the step;
Step 1: Visit usps.com/poboxes, there is a section called “Link a PO Box”, click on the “Link” option.
Step 2: Enter your PO Box number, ZIP code, and Last Name / Business Name.
Step 3: Confirm your PO Box details and submit. You can now manage your PO Box online.
Pick the Right PO Box Size as per your Requirement
There are 5 different PO Box sizes ranging from extra-small to extra-large.
- Size 1 – XS i.e. Extra-Small ( 3″ x 5.5″. Holds 10-15 letters or 2 rolled magazines)
- Size 2 -S i.e. Small (5″ x 5.5″. Holds 10-15 letters or 5 rolled magazines)
- Size 3 is M i.e. Medium, (11″ x 5.5″. Allows large envelopes and magazines to be stacked flat)
- Size 4 is L i.e. Large, (11″ x 11″. Holds 2 shoeboxes and still has room for 10-15 letters)
- Size 5 is XL i.e. Extra-Large, (22.5″ x 12″. Big enough for multiple Flat Rate Boxes and parcels)
How to Renew a PO Box
Following are the four ways you can renew your PO Box:
- Online (USPS.com): Visit usps.com/poboxes, there is a “Renew” option, click on that. You will be directed to the “Manage Your Account page”. Then click Renew PO Box. This feature is available 30 days before your next payment is due.
- At a Self-Service Kiosk. Find a kiosk here or by downloading the USPS Mobile application at usps.com/mobile/info.htm.
- Renew by mail: Send a check or money order payable to “U.S. Postal Service” to the Postmaster where your PO Box is located. (Include your PO Box number on the face of the check.)
- Visit the Post Office where your box is located. Pay by cash, check or credit card.
Also, note that in order to retain the PO Box, you need to make payments by the 10th of the month the payment is due. If you failed to make this payment, then the PO Box will be closed on the 11th of the month. Know here: How to Pay for PO Box
If you’re having any trouble or need technical support then here are the official contact details:
Keep checking this site for more useful information about USPS, FedEx, and UPS.